The Dallas Stars may be on vacation, but there’s a big month – and some big decisions – looming as July begins. Is their Stanley Cup window opening or closing? And how can we tell the difference when the organization claims they don’t put any stock in Cup windows in the first place?
Wes, David and Mark got together to separate the genuine improvement from the assumptive faith. The result was the first of what we might modestly call our Armchair GM series. In this episode:
- What’s the best-case scenario for Ben Bishop?
- What’s the worst-case scenario for Jake Oettinger?
- How bad would it be if the Stars picked another goalie in the first round of the NHL Draft?
- How much can the team benefit from getting Miro Heiskanen back on his natural side?
- Can Thomas Harley help in that regard?
- Can the Stars still afford Jamie Oleksiak...and should they?
- Who should they pursue if they decide to load up for a 2022 championship run?
- What will happen with John Klingberg, and what will have to happen for that to happen?
- And how could Jim Nill use the 2021 expansion draft to do some addition by subtraction?
Why is it more important for NHL GMs to avoid the appearance of screwing up than to be caught doing something brilliant? Let’s discuss all your 200-hockey-men takes. This is Stargazing.
Be a part of the next podcast! Post your puck questions in the comments, or find us @WesALawrence and @KETibbetts.
And hear Stargazing before anyone else by subscribing for free at our Podbean site, iTunes, Google, Amazon, or wherever you find your favorite casts.