We put May behind us today and look forward to more eventful, on the Dallas Stars' part, months of June and July- Those months where franchises evolve and change.
Ahead of that, of course, is this pesky business of awarding Lord Stanley's Cup to one of the three remaining contestants after the Chicago Blackhawks and Patrick Kane offered some thrilling heroics last night to ensure we get at least one game seven more.
The opinion of the Stars fan on those proceedings has been interesting to watch online and in the workplace or at the local rinks. Blackhawks, or Los Angeles Kings?
Realignment was meant, among other things, to stoke divisional rivalry in the playoffs. We can see that's going to play out pretty well for the Sharks and Kings, the Blues and Blackhawks- Does it much matter to us yet? Aren't we still in the boat of hating the Kings and the Ducks more- Can we not still feel our vestigial Pacific limb itching more than any animosity toward St. Louis or Minnesota?
Do you want to live in a world where Dustin Brown has two Stanley Cups and Mike Modano has but the one? Chicago already has so many- It doesn't even matter. It's like the Spurs winning another title. Who cares?
That's my take on it, anyway, and that may be (is probably) a minority opinion. Yes, the Chicago "fans" at the AAC are unbearable in their arrogance, but at least they don't employ this jerk, who was in his usual form last night...
- Dallas Stars-related news continues to be hard to find. It's vacation time around the league for those not playing. The Texas Stars, however, play a pivotal, pivotal game in just two hours up north in Toronto. [Hundred Degree Hockey]
- The official Bruins site takes a look at prospect Joe Morrow, acquired from the Dallas Stars last year- It seems a long shot he becomes an NHL regular at this point. [Bruins.nhl.com]
- The Bruins have to make a decision on what kind of deal to give Reilly Smith this summer, rather than next because of what Joe Nieuwendyk decided to do toward the end of the 2011-2012 regular season. Here's a good discussion of what his role is and might be going forward. [Hockeybuzz.com]
- Dirk Nowitzki's annual celebrity baseball game (formerly Mike Modano's) will feature Tyler Seguin on June 21st. [DMN]
- Michael Russo says the Minnesota Wild are close to locking down head coach Mike Yeo for a multi-year extension. [Star Tribune]
- In Detroit they plan to keep Mike Babcock, as well as Jeff Blashill (head coach of their AHL affiliate) with negotiations forthcoming. [MLive]
- The NHL combine- Where they actually duct-tape players feet to the pedals of the bike tests. Most notorious is the "VO2 Max" test "which measures the endurance capability of a player's heart, lungs and muscles." NHL.com discusses here. See a video of one here- Watch toward the end. It does ...not look pleasant.
- Stanley Cup Finals tickets for Madison Square Garden are nutso. [Puck Daddy]