Even as the whole hockey world seemingly vacations, work is still being done in the Dallas Stars front office as July crawls to a close. First news of Les Jackson's extension (a move the Razor-himself hailed as "GREAT!" news on Twitter) and now rumblings come from Mike Heika's conversations with team officials that the paradigm shift in the coaching staff is not yet complete.
Mike says that the four-man gameday coaching staff might be a thing of the past. For several years now the Stars have had an assistant coach up in the general managers box, as well as two on the bench accompanying Tippett and Crawford. Stu Barnes was one of them and he rotated that "eye in the sky" position with Andy Moog, etc, on the bench.
They may, according to the DMN's report, eliminate a man from that rotation and go with only three: Glen Gulutzan, Paul Jerrard, and Willie Desjardins. Which isn't to say that Barnes would leave the team. He'll be sticking around to help with player development and at practices, just possibly in a slightly diminished role.
- Read the full DMN report here from Mike Heika on the speculation that Stu Barnes' role may be changing with the Dallas Stars. [DMN]
- "The Hockey Writers" say the Stars will need more from Steve Ott in this post-Brad Richards world. [The Hockey Writers]
- There are some awesome new Jack Campbell quotes in this story, including his self professed need to be more patient in net and the help that he gets from Kari Lehtonen and the Stars coaching staff. [Steve Hunt - NHL.com]
- ESPN Dallas takes a look at prospect Reilly Smith and his development after a big season last year. [ESPN Dallas]
- We didn't cover the rather vehement Stars' denial of the Forbes.com claiming the Stars were losing a million a week. Here's a quote from Stars PR given to Sports Business Journal: "Mr. Ozanian (the reporter) has never seen our financial books and attributes an unnamed source for his claim. His conclusions are based on hearsay and there is no truth to it." ... BOOM! [bizjournals.com]
- Dallasstars.com with a piece on North Texas native and NHL draftee Colin Jacobs. He's in the Buffalo system now but is representing all that the Stars have done for hockey in Texas proudly. [dallasstars.com]
- Your thoughts on the new Winnipeg Jets logos? [Puck Daddy] I need to see the jerseys first, personally.
- Recall all those games the Wings allowed the Stars about 21 shots on Chris Osgood, each from about 58 and a half feet away. Then consider his hall of fame candidacy... [Puck Daddy]