If you want to get a good, up close and personal look at the newest additions to the Dallas Stars organization, head out to McKinney this weekend where all of the top prospects (and then some) will be attending their annual development camp from July 1 to July 7. It's a great chance to enjoy seeing future Dallas Stars players take the ice in a teaching and scrimmage environment and every fan will get the chance to cower in the shadow that rests at the feet of Jamieson Oleksiak.
All on-ice practice sessions are open to the public and there will be a skills event on Thursday, July 7. From the Dallas stars press release:
The Stars' last two first round picks, defenseman Jamie Oleksiak (14th overall at 2011 NHL Entry Draft) and goaltender Jack Campbell (11th overall at 2010 NHL Entry Draft) will be participating in the weeklong camp. Also attending the camp will be Alex Chiasson (2009, 2nd round), Patrik Nemeth (2010, 2nd round), Scott Glennie (2009, 1st round), Tomas Vincour (2009, 5th round), as well as Mexican native Julian Garibaldi. Additionally, four of Dallas' six selections from the 2011 NHL Entry Draft are scheduled to attend (Jamie Oleksiak, Brett Ritchie, Emil Molin, Troy Vance).
This isn't the full roster; Matt Fraser, John Klingberg, Brenden Dillon, Alex Theriau, Reilly Smith, Hubert Labrie, and Mathieu Tousignant are also amongst those attending camp.
For full schedule and roster, click on over to the DMN post.
A bit more news after the jump...
- Mike Heika suggests that Jonathan Ericsson could be a target for the Dallas Stars, saying he could follow recent strategy by Nieuwendyk by signing (or trading) for a player based on future potential and not past production. Ericsson -- like Goligoski -- has seen limited minutes on a deep defensive team and could be ready for a bigger role. Heika suggests perhaps $3.5 million might be the possible yearly salary. [DMN]
- In case you missed it, the Dallas Stars re-signed defenseman Brad Lukowich to a one-year, two-way contract. Good news for the Texas Stars who have benefited from his veteran presence on the blue line.
- Nieuwendyk was on 1310 The Ticket yesterday to discuss being elected into the Hall Of Fame. On the issue of retiring any numbers: "There's a lot of great players, like Modano obviously, guys who spent their entire careers here. Sergei Zubov and Jere Lehtinen were pretty much here their whole careers too. They are way ahead on the list before me, I can tell you that." [DMN]
- Puck Daddy questions the ability of the Islanders to sign Christian Erhoff. [Puck Daddy]
- Puck Daddy discusses Brad Richards mentality going into Friday with plenty of quotes from his agent, Pat Morris. [Puck Daddy]
- Finally, an interesting nugget heading into Friday's free agent fireworks: The Nashville Predators made some mistakes on their RFA offer sheets, and On The Forecheck is worried someone like Sergei Kostitsyn could be picked up by another team. [OTF]