I won't keep you all very long with this recap as it no doubt has been a long day for all of us Dallas Stars fans that started off so well in Chicago and ended with heartbreak in Minnesota as the Stars fall to the Wild 5-3.
The Stars had to know that even though they were facing a club long out of the playoff picture and stumbling down the stretch, the Wild were going to treat this game like their one-game playoff if for no other goal than to knock another team out of the playoff race. The great fans of Minnesota wouldn't have demanded any less of their boys.
Reality sank in 6:05 into the first period when Brad Staubitz scored to give the Wild a 1-0 lead. The Stars did roar back in the first period thanks to a beautiful two on one goal scored by Brad Richards and then a power play goal by Brenden Morrow four minutes later.
A lethargic second period did them in though as the Stars were outshot 8-3 and gave up two more goals to the Wild to see them take over the lead. The Stars were able to catch a break thanks to two quick penalties that gave them a 5 on 3 power play that Alex Goligoski promptly scored on to tie things at three heading into the third period.
But again, if felt like the Stars didn't really come out with the needed sense of urgency and didn't really play with any until Antti Miettinen scored 6:47 into the third period to make it a 4-3 game for the Wild. It was only after that point you could get a real sense the Stars were pulling out all the stops and while they had some glorious chances to even things back up, just couldn't beat the Wild defense nor their goalie Jose Theodore.
An empty-net goal against with 13 seconds left in the game put the finishing touches on the Stars 2010-11 season.
- Special teams wise the Stars were - as always - a mixed bag. Sure they go 2 for 5 with the man advantage aided with the help of the 5 on 3, they also fired at will with 13 shots in those five power plays. On the flip side though you have the penalty kill that allowed a goal in the two chances they had to kill. The Stars again played a disciplined game so to see the PK give up a goal is even more frustrating than normal.
- Antti Miettinen with the game winning goal... Really?! Even worse, it was assisted by noted Stars-killer Andrew Brunette. It wasn't enough that the game cost the team the playoffs huh hockey gods? It had to be THAT guy that did the Stars in. Yeah, ok...
- Other Stars getting points: Loui Eriksson had a three assist night. Jamie Benn had an assist. Goligoski and Richards also had assists.
- It should be noted that Morrow extended his goal scoring streak to five games...
- Not the strongest of games from Kari Lehtonen today, but considering how many games this season he's kept the Stars in...
1 - Colton Gillies (MIN)
2 - Jared Spurgeon (MIN)
3 - Loui Eriksson (DAL)