With Matt Niskanen and Karlis Skrastins ailing, the unlikely duo of Philip Larsen and Mark Fistric joined forces for a stretch of 2-0-1 hockey this last week but sadly it's come to an end. The Stars have sent Larsen back to the Texas Stars this morning after his latest round of lesson learning in the NHL.
This would seem to imply that Karlis Skrastins has had a good report from a doctor or two and will likely be ready to re-enter the lineup on Saturday when the Atlanta Thrashers come to town. Niskanen's palm laceration will need some more time to heal so Dallas will carry only six healthy defensemen for a time.
Larsen has made steady progress this season and while still perhaps a little undersized and wet behind the ears, he's turning into an NHL caliber player. The feeling around the team is that he will probably have the opportunity to compete for a job with the big club when training camp rolls around again later this year.
Who that could leave out we'll leave to your very active imaginations.
- Marc Crawford told ESPN Dallas that strengthening Larsen is eventually what they really need to do, and they're in the process of doing it now.[ESPN Dallas]
- ILWT and Devils fans are breaking down what you get in the third round and what you get in the second, essentially trying to celebrate that potential second rounder they'll get from Dallas because of the Langebrunner deal. [In Lou We Trust]
- Edmonton tough guy MacIntyre didn't play much on Tuesday, says the Sun, until "the Stars began taking runs at them. First Steve Ott tattooed Kurtis Foster into the boards. Then Jamie Langenbrunner ran over Linus Omark. And finally, Mark Fistric sent Sam Gagner tumbling." Taking "runs" at them? [Edmonton Sun]
- Excellent piece from John at dallastars.com about their faceoff performance, which has been outstanding in the new year so far, especially Brad Richards [Dallasstars.com]
- Tim Cowlishaw has nice things to say about the Stars. Wait, what? [Dallas Morning News]
- If you've ever wanted to see Mark Fistric riding a unicorn, this link is the one for you. [Pegasus News]
- Please join the discussion and help us decide where to have our 2nd annual watching party on Saturday, February 5th.