On a sunny Thursday in Dallas that is starting to feel like a "hockey funeral," the media is turning their oft-hockey-blind eye to the little Stars and their real-life action hero, Mike Modano, who might (maybe, could be, possibly, conceivably, perhaps) be playing his last game in Texas tonight.
At this "hockey-funeral" I will be drinking heavily, much like I'd encourage people to do at my own funeral, and sports-crying in the fetal position. (I bought an extra seat so I can spread out on the floor a bit)
Kidding aside, to help you celebrate his potential last game in Dallas (don't cry), here's a roundup of some tributes and commentaries. If you find another good one, post it in the comments and I'll get it on the list.
Here is the master list...
- Iron man beat writer/columnist Mike Heika gets a little sentimental
- Mike's Mom wants one more year out of him [ESPN]
- Dallas Basketball's Mike Fisher has a shocking Modano admission.
- Tim Collishaw shares a Modano memory
- The Dallas Observer reports about Mike and it has nothing to do with Wayne Gretzky this time.
- Mac Engel of the Star Telegram pleads Modano's case.
- Twin-Cities.com previews Mike's final game in Minnesota.
- Unfair Park talks to the man himself in a nice interview
- Bob Sturm weighs in on #9
- NHL.com with Modano memories
- The Vancouver Sun parlays Mike's final days into a story about the upcoming draft.
- SLAM! Sports.
- From the Rink "End of an Era"
And a series of tributes at Defending Big D:
- Mike Modano vs. Anaheim: Two to Go For Number Nine
Five To Go For Number Nine: Modano's Last Days? (vs. Edmonton)