Some quick discussion points this afternoon as we gear up for the first preseason game:
Mike Heika has a good post talking about the "x" position, otherwise known as the right wing on the Morrow-Ribeiro line.
He also runs down the roster for tonight. As I mentioned in the game preview, it's a fairly good mix between veteran and inexperienced, It's not as prospect-heavy as I thought it would be, about a 50/50 split, but overall it's a pretty good balance of the two and should set the young players up to get some good reps. We'll have to wait and see the young guys who have really impressed in camp (Wandell, Beaudoin, Korostin), but there's plenty of games left. Here is the roster for tonight:
Mike Modano, Brad Richards, Loui Eriksson, James Neal, Steve Ott, Jamie Benn, Brian Sutherby, Colton Sceviour, Aaron Gagnon, Warren Peters, Luke Gazdic, Tomas Vincour (possibly, apparently he's ill)
Philip Larsen-Matt Niskanen
Mark Fistric-Jeff Woywitka
Trevor Ludwig-Karlis Skrastins
Marty Turco, Tyler Beskorowany
Much more after the jump.
- The Stars are operating according to budget, about $10 million under the salary cap. Doesn't know when the budget might increase, but also doesn't foresee the Stars having to dump any salary either.
- When asked about the goaltenders, he raved about Matt Climie and Brent Krahn, and specifically pointed out how impressed he is by Tyler Beskorowany. No mention at all of Richard Bachman.
- Said the Stars are focused on maximizing the offensive potential of the defensemen, especially Trevor Daley. Sounds like he feels the Stars have not been properly utilizing Daley in the past.
- When asked about Vishnevskiy being a "Zubov starter kit", he immediately started to talk about Philip Larsen. Apparently Larsen has looked great in camp, but will be heading back to Sweden next week.
- Don't expect Scott Glennie to make the jump to the NHL for two more seasons.
Don't forget, the Stars new radio home is on 1310 The Ticket. For someone like me, who listens to the game a lot on the radio, this is going to be a big change in "atmosphere". Bob and Dan talked about a pregame show, and there will always be postgame shows for every home game this season. It's great stuff, if you've never tuned in.
Consequently, only one game this preseason will be broadcast by the Stars: September 26th, against the St. Louis Blues.
Finally Mark Stepneski has this from Marc Crawford, who is quickly turning into a quote machine.
On feeling like the Dallas Stars head coach:
"I'm getting there. I'm getting there. I kind of look down every now and then (looking at the logo on the jacket). My wife said, 'You look good in that color.' I said, 'That's nice, you haven't said anything nice to me in a few years.'"