During the offseason, StarGazing will be posted every Monday and Thursday, rounding up the news on the Dallas Stars and from around the NHL. Might be some other news thrown in as well.
- The Dallas Stars signed Danish defenseman Philip Larsen to a 3 year entry level contract. He was the Stars fifth round draft pick in the 2008 draft and spent all of last season in the Swedish Elite League.
- Since moving to North Texas, the Dallas Stars have ignited a hockey market that few thought would ever succeed the way it has. The Dallas area now has nearly 30 rinks, up from two in 1993.
- Matt Climie and the Idaho Steelheads were swept in their first round series, yet Climie played strong finishing with a 2.41 GAA and a .924 Sv%. He was then assigned to the Houston Aeros and should get some more experience in the AHL playoffs. Houston is tied with Peoria at two games apiece.
- John Tavares is supposedly the consensus number one pick. But after a very underwhelming performance in the World Junior playoffs, some think he may be overrated as a franchise player.
- The Washington Capitals beat the New York Rangers Monday night 4-0 to get back into their Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series. Somehow it is being over looked by most that rookie goalie Simeon Varlamov earned his first playoff shutout.
- Alexander Ovechkin was caught sitting on the visitor's bench at Madison Square Garden during the Rangers practice, but was promptly asked to leave by Rangers officials. Trying to gain a little edge Ovie??
- New Jersey Devils captain Jaime Langenbrunner will be out at least the next two games because of a lower body injury.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets will be playing their first ever home playoff game Tuesday night, a game I will definitely be looking for the Jackets to make a statement in.
- Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic was suspended one game after receiving cross-checking Canadiens forward Maxim Lapierre in the neck during game two of their playoff series.