Once again the Dallas Stars had a great start to the game and were sitting in perfect position with a 2-1 lead late in the second period. It was the latest the Stars had led in 5 games. Two late goals in the second and a quick goal in the third put the Florida Panthers up for good in the game and the Stars never recovered. They came within 4-3 on a Chris Conner goal, but once again could not maintain the pressure in the third and get the comeback win.
I'll have more on this tomorrow, but I wanted to say something about Steve Ott. Expect a suspension to come down on Ott and it could be 3-5 games. It's going to be a combination of a reputation punishment, the player injured is the son of Colin Campbell, and it was a pretty nasty and illegal hit.
I'm never going to defend a guy for an illegal hit, even if he is on the Stars, but I don't see that hit as an intent to injure. Ott was overzealous and became too locked into making the big hit to spark his team and the crowd. When you get that tunnel vision you can forget to pay attention to what else is going on, most importantly noticing the player you are going to hit no longer has the puck. Ott is a great player for the Stars and his style of play more often than not gives the Stars an advantage over teams who over react. Some nights, he goes too far and it causes his team more harm than good. This was one of those nights.
Things to discuss:
- The Stars lost two more defensemen during the game, with Mark Fistric and Stephane Robidas leaving with injuries.
- Mike Ribeiro was outstanding for 39 minutes, then disappeared.
- Marty Turco looked tired, lost and unremarkable. Is it time for the Stars to turn to Stephan down the stretch?
- The Stars are essentially completely out of the playoff race, and are 2-8-1 in their last 11 at home.
- I don't care what happens on the ice, I don't ever like seeing fans booing the team and throwing things on the ice. I'll have more on this later as well.