First, the standings and how the Stars stand with the tiebreakers:
Stars Tiebreakers With Other Teams:
- Anaheim - Lead season series, 7 points to 5 points with 1 game to play - Trail in goal differential -10 to -11
- Columbus - Won season series, 7 points to 4 points
- Edmonton - Tied season series at 2-2 - Lead in goal differential -11 to -18
- Los Angeles - Trail season series, 7 points to 4 with 2 games to play - Lead goal differential -11 to -20
- Minnesota - Won season series (Currently 6 points to 1 point with 1 game to play)
- Nashville - Tied season series at 2-2 - Lead in goal differential -11 to -14
- St. Louis - Lost season series (STL leads 6 points to 0 with 1 game to play)
- Vancouver - Lead season series, 4 points to 1 with 2 games to play - Trail goal differential +15 to -11
After Saturday's OT win over Minnesota, the Stars were 7th. Now, they're 8th by virtue of Nashville's 4-3 win over Los Angeles last night, their 8th in their last 11.
The Stars did get some help on Sunday from St. Louis and San Jose, though, to guarantee they'll still be in the 8th seed by the time they drop the puck in Vancouver tonight.
The Blues win was important not so much because it was against Minnesota, but because it was settled in regulation, where the dreaded three point game couldn't come into play.
San Jose, meanwhile, got all the offense it needed when Travis Moen scored against his former mates in the second period. Evgeni Nabakov made that goal stand up as the game winner with 34 saves for his sixth shutout of the season.
So that's where we stand now. How will it all shake out?
Well, James T. O'Brien of BoC has his own playoff projection that he did yesterday. On Goal Analysis also has their own West Playoff Projection where they say Dallas will get in on the final night of the regular season against an Anaheim Ducks team that will have already been eliminated three games earlier.
Suffice to say, that prospect kind of worries me despite some of the success the Stars have had in Anaheim not only this season, but in previous seasons.