USA TODAY Sports
Head coach Glen Gulutzan summed it up pretty well after the Dallas Stars lost to the Phoenix Coyotes last night, 2-0.
You can't win with a goose egg." The Stars' inability to find offense on the road, combined with another night of penalty problems, was their undoing in another loss on the second half of a back-to-back series. The Stars have only scored four goals in their past half dozen road games. It's a trend we will most likely dig into later this week.
The parade/conga line/party in the box needs to stop. The penalties the team is making seem like they can be cut down in number by moving their feet and getting their sticks down near the ice. It is something that the Stars have discussed internally as a team, and Gulutzan said that they will need to answer for taking them in their next practice. Defensemen Trevor Daley recognized that the penalties are killing them right now, and "we're losing games because of it." The saying goes that actions speak louder than words, so hopefully we will see a change in this - and before they dig themelves too large of a hole to climb out of.
Also in today's links, Ray Whitney will still impact the Stars while he is injured, news from around the Pacific Division, and the first multi-game suspension of the season was handed out.
- More reaction on last night's 2-0 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes part 1: Mike Heika says Stars' loss "has familiar feel" in this paywalled article [DallasNews.com]
- More reaction on last night's 2-0 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes part 2: Penalties and lack of offense on the road is the main theme of Mark Stepneski's recap [StarsInsideEge.com]
- Ray Whitney will be out 4-6 weeks due to a fracture in his foot. That doesn't mean he is going to disappear altogether during that time, though. "I just want to be around the guys right now and help out any way I can."[DallasNews.com]
- Nick Bonino's hat trick led the Anaheim Ducks to a 7-4 win over the Los Angeles Kings. Who else is happy that "three games in a row against them" thing isn't right now? Just me? [Los Angeles Times]
- The San Jose Sharks finally lost a game. Their first loss came in a shootout against the Nashville Predators. [Mercury News]
- Raffi Torres returned last night after serving the rest of his suspension from his hit on Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa in the 2011-2012 playoffs. He says he has to rethink his hitting style, and focus on separating the puck from the player and not necessarily taking out the player with it. Maybe Torres will be this season's Matt Cooke? [Boston Herald]
- Brendan Shanahan gave out the first multi-game suspension of the season to Washington Capitals' John Erskine because of an elbowing on Philadelphia Flyers' Wayne Simmonds. [Puck Daddy]
- On the list of "things I didn't think I'd hear" - Dan Bylsma may be on the hot seat? [Sports Illustrated]
- On this Super Bowl Sunday, I present to you NHL players making their predictions of who wins the game this evening. All the internet points if you can guess, without looking, who the first player featured in the video is.