That was an extremely enjoyable win on Saturday night, wasn't it?
Not only did they control the game throughout, they managed to beat -- in regulation, no less -- the team that they were challenging for their playoff spot.
While that Stars have been in the thick of the playoff race over the last few years, I don't really recall them beating the teams like this that they had to beat. They always gave up these games, and then had to make up those lost points elsewhere.
Maybe this year is different. It's almost too good to hope for, isn't it?
At any rate, the win on Saturday night gives the Stars sole possession of 8th place. Go ahead, take a screen shot of the NHL Standings, and hang onto it for the next couple weeks, while we wait for them to start playing again.
If you're counting magic numbers, or at the very least keeping an eye on who the Stars need to pass next, don't forget to keep an eye on the LA Kings. Even though the Stars can't slide into the Pacific Division standings, passing the Kings in points means that Phoenix and Vancouver would slide into the pacific division spot first, rather than knock us out of the wild card race. That pretty much makes it a 5 team race for 3 playoff spots.
This should be fun.
On to the links:
- Did you miss Saturday's win against the Coyotes? Shame on you. Good thing there's recaps for you to read. [Dallas News] [Stars Inside Edge] [Stars Inside Edge]
- Mike Heika says it's okay for you to get your hopes up about this team. It's what the Stars want you to do. [Dallas News]
- What player from Saturday night's game do you think would earn an honorable mention for the three stars? Well, you're wrong. It's Vrbata. [Puck Daddy]
- Jamie Benn talks about his trip to the Olympics. Do you think the NBC announcers even know his name yet? (Insert East Coast Bias rant here). [Dallas News]
- Need a quick refresher on the format for Olympic hockey? Have no fear. [NHL]
- Want to keep tabs on what's happening in the Olympics each day? Keep an eye on this story stream. [SB Nation]
- Evgeni Malkin's mom ran with the olympic torch before the opening ceremonies. That's kind of neat. [Puck Daddy]
- My favorite weekend article, the NHL Grab Bag -- olympic style! [Grantland]
- Everything you need to know about what the Olympics are like in Sochi. [Grantland]
- And here are seven must watch events for the Olympics. I'm confused, though. Why does this article not say 1. Hockey, 2-7. Curling? [Grantland]
- And to help tide you over until the NHL returns, here's the highlights from the Stars' last game.