The Phoenix Coyotes may be bringing more than just former Stars in Dave Tippett and Mike Smith to the rink with them Friday night in Dallas. Stop me if you've heard this one before - But the sale of the team is serious jeopardy once again.
48 hours ago the long awaited completion of the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to Greg Jamison seemed imminent. Like a done deal. As the hours ticked away and the deadline approached, however, word started to leak out that even after a 113 day delay in the season thanks to the lockout Jamison still did not have the proper funds to finalize the sale.
The vultures from Quebec, Seattle and even the new player "Markham, Ontario" are already circulating, but Jamison insists that the expiration of the negotiated lease agreement with the City of Glendale does not mean that his quest to own the team is really over.
"We will not be able to complete our purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes today in time to meet our deadline with the city of Glendale," Jamison said in a statement Thursday. "However, our journey to purchase the Coyotes will continue. We realize this will require additional conversations with the city of Glendale and the NHL. We still believe we can reach an agreement that satisfies everyone. We hope negotiations with the city proceed as smoothly as possible, as everyone involved wants the Coyotes to remain in Arizona."
A new lease agreement could be worked on by Jamison, or other bidders, but there's some question about whether newly elected council members will be as amenable as previous ones, meaning any new lease agreements/deals could be considerably less favorable.
Coyote players say they have no control over it and thus don't concern themselves with it. If it were any other group or any other team one might question the sincerity of such a statement. With the Coyotes, however, and with Dave Tippett at the helm, history has shown that they truly don't care.
All they do, year after year since this mess started, is make the playoffs and compete.
- Todd Bertuzzi is taking questions on whether or not he'll wear a visor moving forward after a close call with Jamie Benn's stick blade a little too seriously: "I don't think it's a discussion any player really wants to have," Bertuzzi said. "I think it's a personal decision. I don't ask you what kind of pencil you use, you know what I mean? I'm not trying to be jerk, but it's our office and we wear what we want to wear." Real all of that absurdity here at [Windsor Star]
- Todd at Pegasus news takes his usual abrasive look at the Stars issues of the day, this time prognosticating why the Stars could and could not make the playoffs while playing devils advocate with several issues. [Pegasus News]
- Mike Heika's latest DMN chat produced several mini-blog entries by other staff there, including this one where Mike muses on the possibilities open to Dallas if the trade deadline should come around and they're still... struggling. From Jagr to Robidas, it's possible there are a lot of available pieces if things don't get better. [DMN]
- Here's another one: The Stars probably won't take the 'C' away from Brenden Morrow no matter what, as long as he's still here. That's one I definitely agree with, but there are mixed opinions out there about that, so let's hear them... [DMN]
- What will the d-pairs be for tomorrow? It's still up in the air, but Goligoski-Oleksiak (surely one of the largest combinations of letters in a defensive pairing in the league) could come to pass. [DMN]
- Here's the more...controversial take on the Coyotes situation. Mike Ozanian, who write many, many pieces on the Stars' situation (wildly ranging, some turning out to be more true than others, most of them open to interpretation on accounting figures and verbiage) says "Look for the team to move to Seattle if the sale of the Sacramento Kings to hedge fund manager Chris Hansen and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is finalized." That seems presumptuous, but would any turn of events surprise anyone in this story now? [Forbes]
- Here's some good old fashioned Stars-masochism from those at the DMN not named Mike Heika. Apparently the season is nearly over. They could be right, but we hope not. [DMN chat]
- Attractive hockey fan tries to coax (on-ice) performance out of Sidney Crosby by offering presumed sexual...activity. [Puck Daddy]
- Good quotes from Brenden Dillon here given to a local Surrey newspaper in Canada on his journey to NHL. [Surrey Now]
- Speaking of which, someone who knows how, go to the "Surrey, BC" wikipedia page and get Brenden Dillon on the "notable people" list. [Wikipedia]