Bruce Bennett - Getty Images
The Texas Stars finish their preseason schedule this weekend as play finally ramps up for all Dallas Stars prospects across the continent, and beyond.
This season is nearly in full swing for all parties across the continent (and beyond) as October has arrived and the weather is changing.
The Texas Stars, most notably, have started their brief pre-season schedule with an emphatic win last night over Houston as Brenden Dillon, Tomas Vincour and Cody Eakin all scored. Texas piled on four power play goals (something, perhaps, they can help the big club with?) en route to the win and Jack Campbell played well on the other end.
Texas will take on San Antonio in a home-and-home series this weekend and one of those is apparently scheduled to be available on AHL Live (which is more than can be said for Dallas Stars pre-season games in recent years).
The schedule for this weekend is as follow...
|Texas Stars et all||
|Radek Faksa||Kitchener - OHL||@ Sault St. Marie||@ Saginaw|
|Brett Ritchie||Niagara - OHL||Mississaugua||@Saginaw||@ Plymouth
|Gemel Smith||Owen Sound - OHL||@Sarnia||Guelph|
|Matej Stransky||Saskatoon - WHL||Swift Current||@Edmonton||Red Deer|
|Branden Troock||Seattle - WHL||@ Kamloops||@Everett|
|Mike Winther||Prince Albert - WHL||@ Edmonton||@ Calgary
|Troy Vance||Victoriaville - QMJHL||@ Rimouski||@ Quebec
|Alex Guptill||Michigan||Windsor (exhibition)|
|Curtis McKenzie||Miami (OH)||Western Ontario (ex)|
|Devin Shore||Maine||Quinnipiac||New Brunswich|
|Scott Winkler||Colorado College||British Columbia|
|Dmitry Sinitsyn||Umass-Lowell||University of Toronto (ex)|
Tips so far...
- We like Matej Stransky and we like him a boat-load in the context of the individual and his future with the Stars organization, but Saskatoon is struggling this year and their defensive woes early in the season might mean you want to look elsewhere to spend your bucks.
- Spend them instead on Brett Ritchie, if early returns are an indication of future success (no promises). He had 5 points in two games last weekend and looks poised to possibly cash in on a real breakout season as he continues his junior career.
- There are, unfortunately, no games in Canadian juniors with one Stars prospect matching up against another this weekend. Those we like especially, and we'll highlight when we get some in weeks to come.
- The Texas Stars game on Friday is scheduled, according to the AHL Live website, to be available to stream. We'll have to double check that on Friday morning. Did anyone purchase the AHL Live package yet?
- Michigan's schedule indicates they'll (an NCAA team) take on Windsor (a CHL team) in an exhibition game on Oct. 9th, despite Windsor's website having zero info about it. CHL vs NCAA is argued often as preferred developmental paths are weighed. That would be fun to see.
Again, though the college ranks offer some pretty enticing players for the Stars prospect system, none of these games are yet expected to be available for mass consumption. (The moment anyone knows any better, please contact us). Local games may be televised spottily. We'll do our best to provide highlights when available.