As most of you have probably seen by now on ESPN Dallas, this week the Canadian Junior National team began it's camp in search of their World Junior lineup for the tournament that takes place each year during the first week of January. In their search for players who will eventually be thwarted by Stars goaltending prospect Jack Campbell for the third year in a row, they have invited Stars draftees Jamie Oleksiak and Brett Ritchie.
Campbell will attend the United States camp starting later in the week and Stars prospects John Klingberg and Patrik Nemeth of Swedish fame will attend their camp as well, though it's in Lake Placid, NY.
According to ESPN Dallas, fasthockey.com will be streaming a number of intra-squad and exhibition games involving these international junior rosters soon, so keep an eye on that if you're jonesing for some hockey this weekend.
- Mike Heika wrote a great piece on the Stars new challenges in marketing these last couple of years that hid behind the Dallas Morning News paywall until being posted on foxsports.com. In it he reiterates Tony Tavares' position that discounted/free tickets not be given away just to get butts in seats, thus instilling value in the tickets that are paid for. [Foxsports.com]
- Here is a discussion from JJT on which front offices in the metroplex are the most trusted and how far the Cowboys have fallen. Spoiler alert... the Dallas Stars aren't even mentioned along with the Cowboys, Mavericks and Rangers. [ESPN Dallas]
- Speaking of the Dallas Morning News paywall, if you give them your money you can read about how this is a make or break year for Mark Fistric. It's a good idea and there are several Stars facing that this year. I am sure we'll be expanding on this concept in the weeks to come. [DMN]
- Hundred Degree Hockey looks at the Texas Stars defensive roster this coming season, including Brenden Dillon and Philip Larsen. [HDH]
- Did you know former Stars coaching staff member Doug Jarvis won the Stanley Cup again with the Bruins? His name appears on the cup for the 1999 victory as well as this one, and four times as a player with Montreal. [Kingston Whig]
- More on the Shea Weber deal that rocked the NHL yesterday: Lots of "Stanley Cup Contender" language coming from both camps in the aftermath, and the message being taken away is that the bearded monster wants the Preds to be big Cup players...or else. So in a market where they can barely afford to spend to the cap floor, is asking for $7.5M and maybe even more next year on a potential multi-year deal counterproductive? [Puck Daddy]
- Ryan Kesler could possibly miss the start of the season after having had hip surgery this week. He is expected to miss 10-12 weeks. [AP]
- Men, if you want to try out to be a Dallas Stars ice girl, August 7th is your day. Don your best spandex and sports bra, do NOT take any pictures, but do email a copy of the arrest paperwork. [Dallas Stars]