Marty Turco will finally make his first start against the Dallas Stars when the Chicago Blackhawks make their first visit to the American Airlines Center this season on Friday. Turco did not start in either game the Stars played in Chicago this year (one win, one loss).
ESPN Chicago says Turco is to be honored before the game but I think we can all agree that Dallas fans should be honoring him themselves either way. A Dallas draft pick and a product of their system, he played over 500 games in a Stars uniform and provided fans with countless fond memories both on and off the ice.
If the Red Wing home opener this season with Mike Modano's return is any indication, there will be fondness, applause and emotions running high all day in the locker rooms, but when the puck drops it will disappear completely. Both of these teams are in desperate need of points to keep themselves in the Western Conference playoff race after all.
If you'd like to come and cheer Marty on before the puck is dropped you'd better act fast. Word is that there are less than 1,000 tickets remaining. It will be nice to have a full building for once.
Over/Under on Marty Turco loves taps to the back of Morrow and/or Steve Ott's legs?
- Mike Heika has quotes from Turco about the weekend. Evidently his family is coming down as well, though, the Hawks have to be in Phoenix on Saturday. [DMN]
- Travis and co. at Five For Howling are not happy about the officiating (the goal, the diving call) in last nights game in which they had three power plays to Dallas' one. Granted I did think the goal would be overturned from the press box. [Five For Howling]
- After Anaheim acquired Beauchemin yesterday (and then beat Vancouver) Nashville went out and acquired Mike Fisher today from Ottawa and will have him for two season after this one as well. [Puck Daddy] All it means today is that I've seen a lot of Carrie Underwood pictures and there's nothing wrong with that.
- Good piece on lack of serious discipline from the league on rule 48. [Kamloops News]
- ESPN Chicago has a video with Turco. [ESPN]
- The national media types are applauding the Sharks and writing off the Stars. Evidence this month suggests that is a logical course of action. [CBC]
- Art did a great film review of the second Coyote goal last night and I don't want it to get buried so in case you missed it... [Defending Big D]
- The often Dallas-Stars humorous Todd at Pegasus news writes about Matt Cooke and says don't blame him...blame the league for letting him get away with it repeatedly and non cracking down harder. [Pegasus News]