Tonight at 7:00pm CST on Versus in the United States the two NHL All-Star Game captains (Nick Lidstrom and Eric Staal) will choose their squads in what is sure to be an awkward and uncomfortable affair with ego's silently bruised and someone going last. They say they don't care about that, but they do. You can bet money has changed hands and the assistant captains are lobbying hard.
Mostly it will be uncomfortable because this seems very far from a "made for tv" event.
In the end we expect the young guys to go last as that just seems like the natural way of things in the league. Brad Richards said he voted for the elder statesmen in the captain's selection because that's the way he thinks things should be and the opposite will probably prove true with the rookies, one would think.
There is speculation that Richards could end up on Team Lidstrom because Martin St. Louis, his good friend, is there and could lobby for him. It would then be up to Brad to use whatever persuasion he can muster to get Loui Eriksson drafted there as well. What smart captain wouldn't want to put the two of them together?
Reminder: We are going to have GDT's for the skills competition on Saturday night and the game on Sunday so if you're watching and you find that your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend don't seem to care about your hot sports opinions, come to DBD and chat with us.
- ESPN's Page 2 did a good feature here on which teams are getting the most (and least) bang for their buck. The Stars come at #1. They measure Payroll $$$ per point earned so far this season. [ESPN] Wish I had thought of that.
- Train like the Chicago Blackhawks do! Includes quotes from Marty Turco. [Chicago Now.com]
- The Canuck community is lamenting the loss of Alex Edler for 6-8 weeks. It's just one man but with two meetings between the Stars and Vancouver in February their loss could be the slightest of gains for Dallas. [Vancouver Sun]
- Scroll down most of the way on this Puck Daddy post for funny photoshop of Matt Cooke elbowing Dallas Stars Ice GIrls. [Puck Daddy]
- The Austin Chronicle has a good little story on Travis Morin making his NHL debut. [Austin Chronicle]
- Speaking of Morin, he was supposed to participate in the AHL All-Star game on Monday but has been replaced by Francis Wathier, meaning he'll probably be back in Dallas on Monday. The question then is: With three injured Stars who else will they call up from Cedar Park if not Wathier? [ESPN Dallas]
- From the coolest newspaper name ever, the "Belleville Intelligencer", comes a story about Marc Crawford and his brother.
- Canada.com mocks the All-Star Draft tonight. [Canada.com] I don't mean mock draft. I mean mocking.