First, the up to date standings in the West Playoff Race with explanations for some of the columns on the spreadsheet:
Everything from Pos column to the 'Pts' column should be self explanatory. As for the rest:
- PtPct - Point Percentage (Pts / Total Number of Points Possible up to this point in the season)
- PrjPts - Projected end of season point total based on current Point Percentage
- MaxPts - Total number of points a team would get if they win out
- PtsRq'd - This is the number of points needed to reach the projected point total for the 8th seed, which is currently 88.
- PtPctRq'd - Percentage of Points a team would need in it's remaining games to reach the projected point total for the 8th seed (Detroit and San Jose have already surpassed the 88 point barrier).
LA beat the Canucks, 3-2, to win their third consecutive game and climb within 3 points of the final playoff spot. Still, they would need to gain points at a 66% clip in order to hit that 88 point mark.
As for the Stars, they're on the outside looking in as of this morning. Their situation's made worse by the fact they only have 31 wins and would, as of now, lose a tiebreaker to Nashville, Columbus, Edmonton, and Minnesota.